May 5, 2010

19
You Capture - Spring Koi

Spring is starting to make an appearance all around our pond.  The lily pads are abundant and almost need trimmed back already.  I captured the first lily popping up yesterday, and today it was opened up when I got home.
The fish are starting to swim everywhere.  We have about a dozen of the reddish/orange standard koi. A few white ones and some combos.  We also have a black butterfly, but he's pretty hard to get a picture of.
Let me introduce you to some of the more colorful characters:

This is Sylvester. He is the blueish butterfly koi in the middle. I named him Sylvester because his mouth kinda curves to one side like Rocky.
This little guy is named Goldie. You can probably figure out how I came up with that name.
This is currently our largest koi..and I actually don't have a name for this one...just call him big guy.
This one we call Zinger....Lemon Zinger. He has gotten so big over winter and is getting more silver every year!
We are hoping to get a few more colorful koi this year to add to our pond. It is so relaxing to watch them swim around.  Now we want to put a small pond out back so we can sit on the patio and enjoy them all Spring and Summer long!



19 comments:

Elaine A. said...

What an awesome fish pond you have! Very cool.

Syl said...

wow how great is that! Love the pond and love koi
We still have snow on the ground, this girl is getting grumpy :-)

jaime said...

I love the koi! A pond in our yard would be fun, but with our hills, it's not feasible. :( Your pictures are great!

Brooke said...

can i be jealous of your pond? its awesome!!

Kirsten said...

I love the one of goldie with the open mouth peeking out of the water! Beautiful!

tiarastantrums said...

WOW - fantastic!

Jen said...

You have a koi pond?! How cool!

Roland D. Yeomans said...

I also love the photo of the fellow sticking his head out of the pond, seemingly looking right at you. Thanks for all the effort and creativity you put into your blog. It's appreciated by this new visitor. Roland

Mamí♥Picture said...

aww I love the fishys
Have a Fabulous Thursday!!!
☼¨`*•.♥【ツ】♥.•*¨`☼

Roland D. Yeomans said...

I, too, like the photo with the fellow sticking his head out of the pond, seemingly looking right at you. You have a lovely blog, Roland

Colleen said...

I love koi! The picture of Goldy is my favorite!

Jade @ Tasting Grace said...

Wow what beautiful koi you have! That's so amazing you have your own pond!

Ace said...

That would be so much fun to have something like that!

Bec said...

That 3rd shot- oh my! It is attack of the fish! Neat!

Furry Bottoms said...

Those are incredible pictures, Mendi! One of the fish in the second picture looks transparent... only the mouth gave him away!

Stillmary said...

Mendie, I'm so happy to finally meet some of your koi. Either they are very photogenic or you're a great koi photographer. And I'm green with envy when I see your beautiful lilies and think of my dry pond that I'm not getting anywhere on. Anyway, great job, great shots!

Together We Save said...

So jealous... I would love to have a fish pond but I am afraid my neighbors cats would love it more.

Mrs. Cline said...

Great shots! And that sounds super relaxing after a long day. I'm so jealous.

imadramamama said...

Goldie is just popping up to say "HI!" LOL!

Post a Comment