March 15, 2010

9
Poor Miss Emma

Our little girl was sick this weekend.  We discovered some blood in her urine on Friday after she had some accidents in the house. She NEVER tinkles in the house.  Like maybe only 3 times in her whole life has she not let us know. The poor girl was shaking and hiding under my husbands legs because she thought she did something wrong, she didn't understand what was happening to her and why she couldn't control herself.  We quickly called the vet and made an appt for the next day to get her checked out, they didn't think it was urgent because she was eating and drinking normally.

So we went out Friday night and bought some doggie diapers that we kept on her just in case she couldn't make it outside.  She had a vet appt around noon after a urinalysis and rectal exam (ouchie...sorry sweetie!) the vet determined it was a Urinary Tract Infection.  Who knew dogs could get a UTI?  So he sent us home with some medication that should make it go away over the next 2 weeks.

I left the vets office and broke out in tears on the way home, thankful that it wasn't anything worse and grateful that it should be able to be cured with antibiotics.  That little 12 lb dog means so much to me and has become such an important part of our life, thinking of her being sick or losing control of her ability to function makes me sad.

I didn't want to say it out loud, but it made me wonder how am I ever going to stay sane enough to have a child if I worry this much about my beloved pooch?  I will be a basketcase everytime they get a boo-boo or catch a cold. Then Emma turns around and starts licking away my tears, her way of telling me that she loves me.  I look into her brown eyes and realize that she is teaching me how to be a good mom and that everything will be ok as long as we keep loving each other.


Emma is doing better as of this morning, there is already less signs of bleeding and she hasn't had anymore accidents in the house.  Thank those of you who were thinking baout her after my anxious twitter updates.  I appreciate your concern and sharing of knowledge.  So does Miss Emma!

(I am sure the non-dog lovers out there probably think I am insane, but that's ok...the other dog-lovers know exactly how I feel)




9 comments:

jaime said...

I've been thinking about your sweet Emma all weekend! I know how you feel (because I've been ordered to stop updating my mom about my cat...my mom's tired of the updates.) I'm so glad that Emma seems to be getting better, and I hope she's 100% very soon!

Ashlee said...

aww, poor little girl. at least it's something treatable, and she should be just fine. i totally agree with you about kids and being freaked out all of the time. my dogs are my kiddos and i'm always worrying about them!

Brooke said...

(((((mendie & emma)))))
those are hugs just in case you didn't know.

okay so maybe i do think you are a little crazy (i'm not a pet person) but i do understand how committed people can get to animals. so i'm probably the crazy one for not having one to love.

Bari said...

*hugs* for you and Emma. I know exactly how you feel. My kitties were my kids before I had kids and I still call Squirt my furry kid :) Pets give more unconditional, no-strings-attached love than anyone (human or other animal) and when they are hurting, so are you. Emma is right about you-you are going to be an amazing mom! No doubt about that. I bet she's glad to have you as her human :)

Furry Bottoms said...

I know how it feels... but don't you love it when Emma turned around and licked your tears away? She knows how much you love her. This post gave me the snuffles!!!

Kirsten said...

Glad she is doing better!

Audrey said...

Poor Emma. I'm glad she's on the mend. :)

Kim said...

:(( poor Emma & mama!! you will be a TERRIFIC MOM!!!

april said...

Sweet girl. I'm glad she's feeling better!

Post a Comment