March 22, 2010

5
Calling all photographers...real or pretend!

It was a beautiful weekend here in Ohio, we finally got a chance to spend some time outside on Saturday.  I even wore flip flops!  It was wonderful!  The lillies have started to pop thru the mulch and the peonies are starting to push thru the soil.  And maybe I was just being hopeful, but the grass even seemed to be turning a little greener that day. The koi were even following me around when I peered over the edge of the pond thinking I was going to start feeding them again.  Not yet, little fishy....gotta wait till it's a little warmer!

So I decided to pull out my new big girl camera (Canon T1i) and take some pictures of the 1st day of Spring.  I have been waiting years for a real camera, and I find myself almost scared to use it.  Seriously if you could see the way I have it wrapped up in my case, you would laugh uncontrollably.

I put it on auto to capture pictures of our friends while we waited for the vegetables to grill.  I switched the wheel it to the flower to get some close-ups of the lily stems, I moved it to the action to catch one of Emma running along the fence line.  They looked pretty good to me, still amazed how much detail this thing can capture!  But I know there is so much more I can do with this camera...I can't wait to find out how much better of a photographer I can be!

This is where you all come in.  For those of you with a DSLR camera (Canon, Nikon or whatever you splurged on) what are some tips you can share with this photog newbie?  Any favorite settings you like to use for specific scenarios (faces, flowers, general scenery, etc)?  Anything that you have learned that made your pictures really pop that you wish you would have known when you first started out?  I appreciate any tips or advice you can give!

(P.S. I ordered a camera strap from SheyB that I think she (my camera) will look great in (btw-deciding on which strap I wanted was almost as hard as deciding which camera I was going to get), but I'm still thinking of the perfect name for her!)





5 comments:

Kirsten said...

For me, I have found that if I just take it out and start taking pictures on the various settings, I can get something better than on one of the auto settings. You just have to play, play, play. Although I'm sure someone else will have more specific ideas for you. Glad you are enjoying it. I so need one of those straps - with a lens cover pocket.

Brooke said...

we had a beautiful weekend here too. no advice to give, i don't even own a camera of my own.

Audrey said...

I'm waiting on one of those camera straps myself. It was a tough decision - her stuff is beautiful! I gotta admit, I'm not even sure what kind of camera I have. It's digital and I typically use auto although the sport function is great for my busy kids and I've gotten great shots with that. Sorry I can't be of more help!

love said...

i just got a fancy one last month and have not ventured out much yet!! i'm excited to learn, though!

Mommy Elephant Sarah said...

Can't wait to get a real camera too!! Lucky!!

Post a Comment