September 3, 2009

19
You Capture - OLD SIGNS

Photobucket

You Capture challenge this week is to find old signs! I love old rustic or elaborate signs. I knew exactly what I was going to take a picture of when Beth gave the order.

The Sparta. It used to be a cool bar back in the 1950's, then turned to a restaurant by day and bar by night. It closed down for a little while and reopened a few years ago. There are tons of old tin signs inside and classic cherry booths with decorative moulding. It takes you back to a time when all the ladies wore dresses and men had on button-ups. The SPARTA lights up at night with the round white globe lights that flicker calling out to the locals to stop.

This is the Midland Theatre. It too has been there for years, and was recently (in the last 10 years) renovated by a local manufacturing company to bring it back to it's original grandeur. The stage inside is beautiful but the seats are sooo small, people have gotten a lot bigger over the years. Every now and then they show a movies and anyone can go and watch it for $3. We went once and saw White Christmas and another time saw Dark Side of Oz, which is the Wizard of Oz to the Dark Side of the Moon Soundtrack. And yes alot of parts line up rather eerily, if you haven't watched it this way...I recommend it. But the theatre itself is a piece of history and its wonderful to see it back in its original glory. They have something there every few weeks, singers, comedians or plays. It makes downtown look nice when it's all lit up at night!



19 comments:

Brooke said...

i love historic stuff like that. a friend of mine even had wedding photos done in the historic downtown area of our city.

Julie said...

Love the signs... I think this is my first visit to your blog! =) Your link over at Beth's actually took me to your FOOD YOU CAPTURE.. you might want to check it out!!! Cute captures.

Prairie Lady said...

Nice captures. I also took some photos of an old theater restored. Mine were during the day, love your evening shoot.

Bobbi Janay said...

I love diners like that.

Stacie's Madness said...

awesome job!

Allison and Ben said...

Ooh I thought Neon signs would be good too, but we went out right in the middle of the day. Great job!

Hair Bows & Guitar Picks said...

Love them :)

Jendi said...

I like the black and white. Sounds like the inside is as neat as the outside.

Mrs Soup said...

How fantastic! I love old theatres!

jaime said...

I love the Midland picture! I found the challenge just that...challenging...and had a difficult time. You did a great job!

Anjie said...

Very nice shots! The neon sign is cool...I love the sky behind it.

Corrin said...

I love the Sparta sign. That font is so retro!

Alice said...

cool signs! they both remind me of my mom's hometown in georgia. i need to go there and take pictures - i know she'd love to see them. thanks for sharing yours :O)

my old sign pictures are posted now also. feel free to come on over and visit anytime :O).

Saj said...

Great job! Love the Sparta sign. Must be cool at night!

Christie O. said...

great pictures! i still cannot find me an old sign and an idea, although yours gives me an idea! yours reminds me of a place called "the masquerade" with a very similar sign. an old theater turned dance club and it's closed now. but it's where my husband and i met a zillion and a half years ago and it looks just like that. ahh memories.

Diana...aka...MeMe said...

Who doesn't love a theater?? Great shots!

Lisa @ Boondock Ramblings said...

These both look awesome! great shots!

verabear said...

These photos are really very inspiring. Makes me want to go out there and look for really old signs. There's one particular area that I'm thinking may have a lot of old signs. One of these days...

http://www.verabear.net/digitalmemories/

Amanda W said...

Yep, I really like how you did the midland sign. Well done.

Post a Comment