April 6, 2011

3
The 3 hour glucose test...not my idea of fun

As you may recall, I failed the 1 hour glucose test with a score of 147. You needed to be under 140 to pass. So this meant that I had to go thru a 3 hour test. We decided to do this on Friday morning. So I took the whole day off work just in case I felt drained like I did with the 1 hour test.

I had to fast for 12 hours before the test, so my last food was ingested was about 7:15 Thursday night. Only water from there on until they took my fasting blood draw at 7:30.  I then had to drink a 100mg bottle of the tasty glucose drink.

Yeah, remember how I said the 1 hr drink wasn't bad and kinda tasted like melted popsiscles? Well this one was twice as strong, so it wasn't as pleasant. I now understand the coating people are talking about feeling on their teeth...it was like syrup. But I guzzled it down in the 5 minute window and the waiting began.

I felt fine during that first hour, maybe a slight "rush" about half way thru but nothing too noticeable. The tech called me back and I had my #2 blood draw done. Felt fine during and after that. So I went back to the waiting room to sit by hubby and actually kinda felt a little sleepy. About 15 minutes later, I started feeling a little light headed and like the room was starting to spin. I lifted my head up from his shoulder and started noticing that I felt a little warm. He looked over and asked if I was ok. I told him I was kinda feeling a little woozy. He got me a wet paper towel to hold to my face to cool me off. I took some deep breaths and the sounds of the room including my husband talking to me started fading out a little bit. I was like, I'm not feeling well at all,a little lightheaded like I'm gonna pass out.

Just then my mouth started salivating like I was going to puke. Then I got really warm and he said I was as pale as the walls. I said yeah, I don't feel right at all. So I asked him if he could walk me to the bathroom bcause I was thinking I was going to hurl. He slowly stood me up and walked me back their. I told him if I wasn't out in a few minutes to come check on me in case I passed out.

I shut the door and immediatly stripped off my shirt layer and just stood there with my tanktop on. I put a little more cold water on my face and kept spitting out the saliva that was building up in my mouth. It popped in my head, if I get sick...I'm gonna have to do this all over again. I felt bad enough having to make the baby go thru all this with me, if I was feeling this bad, I wonder how she was feeling? So I just  took some more deep breaths and applied more water to my face and pushed thru it.

I walked back to the waiting room, still in my lovely tank top mind you and kinda stood there for a minute before sitting down. Once I sat down, the warmness started coming back so I got another towel to try to cool myself down. I slowly started feeling better, but decided to keep the towel and tanktop combo going since it was working so well. I had about 10 minutes before my next draw when hubs snapped this picture. Britney Spears anyone?
 So I was nervous how I would do with the next blood draw (that would be #3 if anyone is counting) given the near pass out I had just encountered.  It actually went ok and I walked back to the waiting room to begin the next hour of waiting.  Started getting a little warm about 45 minutes thru that hour, but reapplied the cool compress and ended up feeling better pretty quick. Last and final blood draw #4 was up, and besides my vein feeling like a pin cushion, I was ok. Yeah, it left a mark....4 actually. This was when we got in the car....me thinks it will end up bruising, do you agree?
I quickly took a drink of water since I wasn't allowed any since I started the stupid test and was able to get some of the  sugar taste out of my mouth. I then had a spoonful of peanut butter to hold me over until we grabbed some lunch. The tech said I might want to try to eat something if I felt like it and I was like, ya think? I'm 8 months pregnant and haven't had food for 15 hours....hell yeah I'm going to eat something! So we got in the car and went directly to Burger King (my choice). The flame broiled goodness smelled so good, I had made a good choice.  So although I was ravenous by this time, I was actually only about to eat about half my sandwich and fries and had to take the other half home. Which I finished about 2 hours later after napping on the way home.  Gad that I took the whole day off, not my idea of how to spend a vacation day, but it was nice not to have to focus on numbers.
I am so thankful that my husband went with me and stayed the whole time. What if I had been alone when I started to feel like I was going to pass out and the tech was with another patient? Scary. I had told him he could leave to go grab some breakfast before my little episode, but he hadn't felt like it yet. And once I got lightheaded he wasn't leaving my side. What a great guy!

I had my bi-weekly checkup yesterday and the dr said that my sugar levels were fine, so yeah I passed!  He did want me to cut out sweets and added sugar as a preventative measure. He said my pancreas was keeping up fine now, but he didn't want to make it work overtime in the final home stretch. So although there is no diagnosis, I am cutting out ice cream and nutty bars and whatever other sweet treat I have been enjoying too many of lately. Its all good for the baby, so I don't mind sacrificing for a few months!


3 comments:

jaime said...

So sorry you had to go through all of that. Sounds miserable. :( And your husband is the best! Also....hurray for good test results!

Bari said...

It sucks that you and baby G had to go through that, but I'm glas you passed. Your hubby was awesome, too. Good job, big G!

Ryan {Southern Pearls} said...

Mendie this sounds so miserable. I am even more thankful that I was able to avoid this test!! At least you passed though so in the end it was all worth it but geez, what a crazy time!

You have an amazing Hubby! What a stand-up guy!

Post a Comment