November 30, 2010

13
My Thanksgiving Confession

We had decided a while ago that we were going to tell our families at Thanksgiving about the pregnancy. It being our first pregnancy and being afriad something would happen, we wanted to wait until we were further along before sharing the news. So we waited and waited for the days to pass until we could spill the beans!  We brainstormed cute ways to tell them, would we just pass them the ultrasound picture or should we come up with something more unique? I had seen lots of ideas on websites and blogs, and found the perfect one for me! I worked with a dear friend, who was sworn to secrecy, to help me make it happen. She did awesome!
 
We had Thanksgiving dinner with my family at 4pm on Thursday, so we got all our stuff ready and headed to my uncles house in my hometown.  People slowly started to filter in and we all stood around inside and chatted while some people were getting things out of the oven and moved to the buffet line. 

Grandma was already sitting at the kitchen table surrounded by a few aunts and I looked around, doing a headcount of what aunts were missing and realized they all were in the house. I looked over at my husband, and he nodded like, it's go time!  So I went over and asked the ones who were in the living room if they could come in, saying I wanted to talk to everyone about something.

They all gathered in the kitchen and I walked up to the table and said Grandma I have something I want to show you. And then I took off my sweater and told her to read my shirt.
She kind of looked confused and my aunt that was standing beside her started to read it to her. She said "Expecting a little......erjrtkjhkdj!" The rest kind of came out in a blur of tears and screams and excitement, then Grandma said" What....no you aren't....Mendie, are you pregnant....are you serious?" I nodded my head and said "Yes I am!" and she ran up and hugged me and everyone else started to scream and shout it to the men who were sitting in the other room and in the garage. "Mendie's gonna have a baby!!!" I'm really surprised some of you in the central United States didn't hear them screaming!

Grandma started to scold me for not telling her sooner, but I said "would you have been able to keep this a secret?" and she admitted no and was ok with it. She was just happy our dream finally came true. (ps. She has been calling me Little Mama ever since.)

Then everyone came in and started hugging me and crying happy tears, and I was like, whoa..."Pregnant lady needs some air!" Laughing but kinda being serious, once you get in a hug pile, it's hard to get out of it! But it was great, everyone then took turns coming over and congratulating me and hugging me and then making the way over to congratulate my husband.  It was great!

When my uncle Jim came in, he gave me a hug and said "Congratulations, Debbie would be thrilled!". I teared up and said "I know she would, I got to tell her. She was actually the first to know." He smiled and said you did and asked when, and I told him. He said, "yes she was still opening her eyes at that point, so I know she heard you." Everyone just smiled when they found out that I shared it with her before she passed on. It was important to me to do that, she was like another Mom to be growing up.

So then after everyone hugged and smiled, we ate and people asked questions like how long we had known (umm, the whole 3 months) and what we wanted (a healthy full term baby). Then we ate. It was nice. I then called my relatives that live in St. Louis and Arizona and told them the news.

After we left my families house, we stopped over at my husbands Grandparents and told them. I think they were kinda in shock. But they were happy, but really I think kinda like wow, for real? We then headed over to his Mom's house. She had just gotten out of the hospital from knee replacement that morning, so his family was going to celebrate Thanksgiving on Sunday. But we couldn't wait. So we stopped over there, I took off my sweater again and handed her the ultrasound, and her face brightened up with excitement. She had looked a little pale and in pain when we first got there, but by the time we left, she looked like a brand new woman. Amazing how good news like that can physically change the way you feel! She was thrilled but can't wait 6 more months to hold him/her! She's ready for a little grandbaby!

Asked everyone to keep it hush until my appt yesterday morning. I hadn't been feeling as queasy the last few weeks and I'm a worry wort and just wanted to make sure my bloodwork came back ok and everything was good before telling the world about our news. Went into our appointment, he poked and asked how I was doing squirted some lube on mah belly and brought over a little blue machine. He said, we might not be able to pick anything up today, sometimes it won't be audible on the doppler until 14 wks. But after moving it around a bit and pushing around my belly, we heard the heartbeat. Strong and steady. It was the best sound, calmed my fears and reassured me that everything was fine.

So the news was spread yesterday on here, on facebook and to the rest of my coworkers. All the love and happiness that we have received is overwhelming! I am so thankful to have so many people loving this baby already! I can't wait to share my journey with all of you. Thank you for wanting to experience it with me!



13 comments:

Bari said...

I am sure you and your entire family is over the moon with your news, and I couldn't be more happy for you. I love how you you announced it with that shirt - so cute. My sister did something similar when she was expecting my niece, only my nephew was wearing a "I'm going to be a big brother" shirt :)

Now I get to plan a trip back to Ohio next summer so I can meet the little one!

Hugs and kisses!

jaime said...

So exciting!! I know your family must be THRILLED - and I'm so glad you got to tell your aunt Debbie!

Brooke said...

Love the way you told them. too cute!! :)

and how sweet that Aunt Debbie was the first to know.

AnnG said...

Now that is a great confession!! Congrats to you and your hubby! Love the way you told your family!

Christy M. said...

Mendi,
I am SO thrilled for you. THRILLED beyond imagine! Congratulations to you and your family and I can't wait to watch you grow with your June bug!

xoxoxo

Stacie's Madness said...

CONGRATULATIONS!

Bacardi Mama said...

What a fun way to tell your family. I'm so happy that your Aunt Debbie got to be the first to know. It's going to be so fun to watch you blossom with this little June bug.

imadramamama said...

What a cool way to tell them!

Mommy Elephant Sarah said...

Oh Mendie, this post just brought tears to my eyes. I am so so so happy for you.

I hope your pregnancy is going well. I wasn't able to eat ANYTHING until week 15. Seriously everything made me sick. Then from there on smooth sailing. Got my appetite back, and the cravings hit.

You are going to be the best mom! I mean that.
xoxo

Kate at Big City Belly said...

Oh wow, you had me crying. So special. Congrats.

Roo said...

I love the way you announced it - so awesome! And the sound of your own baby's heartbeat? Priceless. xo

Stillmary said...

I don't love any post better than the one that makes me cry happy tears and this one sure did! What an awesome way to let everyone know. I could just feel the joy in your family after having had such a difficult time lately. God bless you all.

Mrs. Cline said...

I don't know how I missed this post! I just got all teary-eyed reading about how you told Aunt Debbie before she passed away. What a special moment for you both. :)

I am so, so excited for you!

Post a Comment