December 20, 2009

6
Let the Holiday Baking begin!

Monday is my last day of work for 2009, I am going to spend Tuesday baking Christmas goodies to give to our families on Christmas.  So far here is whats on the menu.

1) Buckeyes
2) Christmas Cutouts
3) Toffee shared by Ace
4) Peppermint Bark and Chocolate Peppermint Cookies shared by Beth
5) Puppy Chow

Some of you who follow me on Twitter, may recall that I have been looking at aprons for the last few months.  I saw some really cute ones, most of them in black and white damask fabric that I am IN LOVE with lately (hence my blog background) and then got to thinking how cute it would be to have a Christmas apron to wear when I do my holiday baking!

So....I had the amazing idea that it might be fun to get out my Mom's sewing machine and see how hard it would be to make one of my own!  I learned how to sew when I was in 7th grade or so and made a skirt and blazer out of this horrendous purple and green plaid wool that I wore to church once.  I'm sure I could remember the basics and maybe make several of them...and maybe they would turn out so good, I could make some for Christmas gifts next year!  OK....slow down, I'm getting a little ahead of myself.

I went to JoAnns and bought a few patterns and some holiday fabric that was on sale...and set out to make my holiday apron!  I cut out the pieces for the apron I wanted...only to realize about half way thru that I started to cut out the child's size on accident.  Thank goodness I realized this before I actually cut the fabric.  So I started cutting out the adult size pattern pieces.  Got them all laid out on the fabric and cut them out.  Pinned all the pieces together and was ready to sew them together.  Had a few issues getting the bobbin threaded but finally got it to work one night and knocked the whole thing out in a few hours.

It turned out much better then I thought for my first sewing attempt in over 2 decades.  While it isn't going to fall apart and looks like an apron, the stiches on the hems aren't exactly straight.  I need to work on the rounded adges a bit, but overall I am super-pleased with how it turned out.  I did it...I made an apron!


I can't wait to start my holiday baking on Tuesday.  I will be wearing my apron and listening to Christmas music...what a great way to get ready for the big day!

What  is one of your favorite holiday treats...is there something that you always make or always look forward to having at Christmas?


6 comments:

Ace said...

Too cute! I want one!

Brooke said...

great job on the apron!! :)

i had some yummy buckeyes this weekend, but my favorite candy is my mom's fudge. she makes chocolate and peanut butter and its to die for!!

livinginagirlsworld said...

What a cute apron! I need to wear aprons as I'm an incredibly messy cook, but I just can't seem to remember to put one on BEFORE I make a mess.

Mrs. Cline said...

Oh my goodness, that's adorable! Hope all of the baking went as well as you'd hoped! And I hope your burnt finger is okay!

Stillmary said...

Starlight Mint Surprise, Swedish Heirlooms, and Sarah's sugar cookies - all old-fashioned, delicious and tried and true. Love your apron and your post; and, I hope your baking went well. Daughter #2 and I are not starting our cookies until tomorrow! Yikes!

love said...

so cute! you did great!

and i just love christmas baking. i like to do different things, but always mexican wedding cookies! =)

Post a Comment