November 8, 2009

12
My 5K Experience

Saturday morning I got up bright and early (well for a Saturday anyway) to prepare myself for my first 5K.  The Sisterhood of the Shrinking Jeans put the challenge out for everyone to join in this weekend in support of World Run Day.There wasn't a 5K around my town, so I pledged to make my own!  Our neighborhood oval is just over a mile long...so I planned to do it three times and call it a 5K...close enough right?  I got up put on my workout clothes and Polar HRM, did some stretches and was ready to go!

I started the walk....which I guess this is a good time to interject that I had initially thought I would do intervals of running/walking, but once I got started my knee was still a little tweaky so I made the decision not even to attempt to run any of it because I was afraid that I felt too much pain I would give up...and this day wasn't about giving up.

So I went ahead and walked my first mile...it was quiet in the neighborhood, only passed maybe 3 houses with people picking up their paper or raking leaves.  Into the second mile I thought, wow...I haven't EVER walked more than 2 miles...this is going to ROCK!  I was feeling a little lethargic, but knew I had to do it.  When I crossed the line (my driveway) where I was starting my 3rd and final lap, I looked up to the front door to see my husband and dog standing there looking for me!  I gave him the thumbs up and mouthed 2 down...one more!  He smiled and gave me the thumbs up!  That lifted my spirits to push thru the last mile with more gusto then the first.

Last mile went pretty quick, by this time the sun had started to come out a little more and I had a little sweatshimmer going on.  I got back to my driveway and my love was waiting to take my picture as I crossed the finish line! 



I did it....my first 5K!  Even if it wasn't a "real" 5K...it was to me.  I did it, nobody helped me and I didn't make excuses.  I did it...and I felt great!  Thanks to my beloved HRM, I was able to track my lap times.  1st lap was 18:37, 2nd was 18:07 and the final was 17: 34!  Its supposed to get better each lap...and mine did!  Rock on!  Burnt 438 calories and reached my goal of finishing in less than an hour.  I bet that by more than 5 minutes!

I now have a starting point, and I pledge that my next 5K whether it be organized or not...will be even better.  But this one, knowing that I was doing it along with dozens of other women and men all across the country, will always hold a special place in my heart.  I did it.


12 comments:

Bethany said...

Great work!! (Go Bucks!)

LaughingLady said...

Woo-hoo!!!! Congratulations!!! Great pictures, too! I was going to take my camera along, but I'm always a little worried it'll fall out of my pocket while I'm jogging. Plus, I always whack my hand on the bulge in my jacket then, and that just doesn't feel great after a while!! Thanks for sharing your experience!!

You look very cute in your workout clothes!! ;)

Mommy Elephant Sarah said...

I love it!! WooHOOooOO! I love the pictures too! Great job!!

Christie O. said...

yay! yay yay yay for you!! i'm so excited for you, and how adorable are you too!!!

great job, i was thinking about everyone this weekend as I did mine! Congratulations! And virtual high five!!!

AudreyO said...

Way to go. Those are great times. When I use a tread climber at the gym, I do not do five miles in an hour, it's more about 3.5 and that's at a steady pace.

Christy M. said...

Way to go, Mendie!!! I'm so proud of you for beating your goal! YOU ROCK!!!!

Your pictures are awesome, too!

Becca said...

Great job! I had to walk a little of mine, as my old Cross Country coach would have said,"As long as you finish the race, you're a winner!"

livinginagirlsworld said...

Great job Mendie! So glad you did this even though it was hard! Do you have a goal for miles this challenge?

Brooke said...

don't discount yourself - if it was 3.1 miles it was real!! :)

Bacardi Mama said...

Great job, Mendie. You rocked it beating your goal time. I'm so proud of you!!

Cynthia@RunningWithLetters said...

Sounds pretty 'real" to me! Good job, Mendie!

imadramamama said...

You sure did!! Great job, Mendie!

And nice shirt. ; )

Post a Comment