August 16, 2011

3
Grace's 2 month Shots

Its hard to believe my little girl is 2 months old already! 
She had to go for her first set of vaccinations last week.  I was not looking forward to it. 
I know people have said, oh you'll hurt/cry more than she will. 
And after caring for her for just 8 weeks, I felt that was probably very true.  
Here we are getting ready to leave for the doctor. She has no idea what is about to go down.
 
We went into the pediatricians office where she was checked over and given a good bill of health. 
Then the nurse came in with a little tray of things. 
I looked at my husband and said, you are going to have to hold her, I can't watch! 
First she got her oral vaccination. 
She did great with that, which was no surprise since she LOVES her vitamin drops we give her every night. Then came the needles.
She was laying down on the table and my husband held her arms while
the nurse cleaned a spot on her upper thigh with alcohol. 
I turned away and took a deep breath.  She did the first shot and I was like, wow she isn't crying. 
What a big girl. Then I heard my husband say...."Oh my, you don't like that do you!". 
The nurse then gave her the other two shots and with that I heard a big painful cry. 
Ends up that she wasn't crying at first because she was opening her mouth so wide 
taking a big breathe in and then let it all out at once. So sad!

My husband picked her up and cuddled her, 
her little blue eyes were like diamonds amidst all the tears! 
Her face was bright red, but quickly she returned to her natural color in just a matter of seconds 
of being in daddy's arms.  
She took her bink and kinda grumbled a little but was drifting off by the time we got in the carseat. 
It wore her out!
Once we got home, she was ok just wanted to be held, which of course we obliged.
She did manage to nap after nursing for a little bit.  About 8:30 that night, 
she was starting to get really fussy and you could tell she wasn't feeling good so 
we decided to give her change her into her jammies and give her some tylenol. 
 
Of course, Emma and Ellie joined us for the event. 
They are so concerned when she cries...they like to stay close!
 
Look at her iridescent band aids! Aren't they cute!
 
When we were getting her dressed, we took off the bling bandaids. 
She wasn't a fan of that, but who really likes getting bandaids removed...they sting! 
And what did I see...little spots of blood from where the needles were. 
My little girls first episode of bleeding-Oh how sad! 
Once they were pulled off (gently of course), she was alright just a little tender.
She got her tylenol, which started making her drowsy in about 20 minutes. 
She was fighting sleep and then after nursing again was ready for bed. 
She slept thru the night and when she woke up at 7 the next morning was just a little sore, 
but had smiles for us. 
So thankful she didn't have any reaction to them.
But I am glad that we have a few more months before we have to go thru that again. 
She was such a big girl! I'm so proud of her!


3 comments:

Elaine A. said...

Those first shots are especially hard! But thankfully they do get over it pretty quickly. I just took K for some the other day (she's a tad behind...) and it was still hard to see her cry. :(

She's a doll baby Mendie, so cute!!

Bari said...

What a trooper! Grace did great too :-). I'm glad you all got thru this. I always hated shot days.

imadramamama said...

What a cutie patootie! I so remember that appointment, too. I had to leave the room entirely! You are a Super Mom!!

Post a Comment