June 23, 2010

18
Weigh-In Wednesday

It was inevitable that the events of this last weekend where I was *less* then stellar at watching what I put into my mouth would bite me on the scale this week. 
But actually it wasn’t as bad as I had thought it would be.

This week +.5 lb
Total Challenge -3.5 lbs

When I got home Monday night, after weighing in the morning for our Biggest Loser contest at work, I knew I had to get my walking in that night. So after dinner and watching some DVR, it had cooled down some and I was ready to go for my walk. I thought…should I try to run a little and try to get back into c25k? Was my body ready for that challenge or should I just keep walking the 2 miles like I had been doing? I sent a friend a msg and asked her what I should do…after a few responses back and forth, she said “you can do anything for 30 seconds”. I was like you know…you are right, I have to at least try to do it.

And you know what? I did it! I started with the normal 5 minute walk, then alternated between 60 seconds of running and 2 minutes of walking. I did 2 miles in under 35 minutes! Sure a few times I felt like I was going to pass out, but I kept pushing saying, I can do anything for 60 seconds. Just finish this interval and then you can walk. When the next one came, I did the same thing. A few times I may have walked for 2.5 minutes between, but I always ran for at least 60 seconds. This is my version of c25k w1d1.

When I was done, I was a sweaty mess. 
Don't believe me...take a gander at the redness below.
But I felt so proud of myself! It’s only 60 seconds, but its so much more then that to me.

It’s a beginning to training for a race like all of my Sisters have done and are doing in the upcoming months.
It’s taking control of what I will push my body to do. 
It’s empowering to know that I am not afraid of running. At least not today. 
Sure my legs feel it today, especially in my lower right quad, but I am hoping that when I start my next session tonight that energy and determination will once again fill my soul and soles and push me.




18 comments:

Renée aka Mekhismom said...

Way to go on the running. I'm going to have to do run/walks again to get my hip back in shape.

Brooke said...

hurrah!!! you are a sweaty beautiful mess. :) just like you should be after running. great job!!

LaughingLady said...

"You can do anything for 30 seconds." ~ what a great way to look at it!!! I might have to try that!

Christy M. said...

I'm so proud of you Mendie! WTG on getting out there and doing it. You've jumped the biggest hurdle now, so keep running girl! You can do it!!!

Sarah said...

Way to go on your run! I've been trying to get started on the C2K plan as well, but 30 seconds is about all I can run right now! Keep it up!!

Stillmary said...

What to go, Mendie! I want to run too. I really do and I'm sure I will after I run out of excuses. Way to overcome! You really are an inspiration.

Bari said...

I'm so proud of you! That friend must be very, very wise (tee-hee). I'm glad you listened to her and pushed yourself. Make sure you stretch really, really well, even if you don't feel like you need to. No injured ladybugs allowed!
There is a c25k app for your iphone. I really liked the 10k one and felt I could modify it as I needed to.
Great job again on the running. And don't worry about that 1/2 pound. You'll sweat that out next time you go run :)

*Lissa* said...

YAY!!!! You are doing it! Good job, girl!

xoxo

Christie O. said...

woohoo girl! that's just about how I look after a run, aren't us bitches hot!!! :) congrats on the run, girl, seriously. yes, i say that to myself all the time, you can do anything for 30 seconds. pretty soon you'll talk yourself into doing "anything" for 5 minutes and up and up and up! But the time passes quickly don't it?? congrats!!!!!

Audrey said...

So proud of you! Great job!

Ace said...

Who cares about the 1/2 lb... you did it! And you can keep doing it! That little 1/2 lb will be a distant memory next week when you weigh in!

Heather D said...

So proud of you!!

TheDailyMel said...

WTG on the running, Mendie! Sweat is a beautiful thing. :)

Kim said...

WHOHOOOOO!!!! I AM SO PROUD OF YOU!!!!!!! keep it up!

Tiffany said...

Yea Mendie! You can totally do the running thing... I am still at run/walk intervals - every interval counts and you will be amazed at how you progress!

Andrea said...

So proud of you girl! You've got the right attitude for sure!

foodieontheedge said...

Hurrah! Running for 60 seconds is great! And most importantly you stuck to it even if you felt like you were going to pass out, that is what is the most important, sticking through the pain.

imadramamama said...

Woohoo!! That's AWESOME!! I'm so proud of you for pushing yourself!

Post a Comment